Friday, December 9, 2011

Uzi's Easy ChillOut Chile

This is one of my favorite easy Uzi recipes.  It takes a long time to cook but prep time is minimal and once you've got it simmering on the stove you just et it cook undisturbed for a few hours.  This recipe is very flexible and you can add any ingredients that work for you and adjust the spice level.
Ingredients: two and a half lbs of 85% ground beef, 1 medium-large white onion, 4-5 cloves of garlic, 1 can of kidney beans (I prefer the low sodium kind) 1 can of whole tomatoes (28oz), 1 can tomato sauce (26oz), 3-4 tbs of olive oil, 1 tbs chile powder (more or less to taste and depending on potency and freshness, 2 tsp of salt, dash of black pepper.
 I started by adding the chile powder and 1 tsp of salt to the hot oil In a large enameled dutch oven, then added the chopped onion and let it soften.  When the onion has softened I added the cloves of garlic and then the chopped beef and browned the beef completely, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and added the rest of the salt.  This took about 5-8 miutes.  Meanwhile I rinsed the beans repeatedly and once the meat has browned I cleared a space in the middle of the pot and poured the rinsed and strained beans in the pot so they brown slightly.  Next I added a pinch of pepper and the tomato sauce and can of whole tomatoes.  I broke up the tomatoes with the wooden spoon and let the pot come to a boil.  I lowered the flame to a simmer and then skimmed as much of the fat off the top as possible with a ladle; later once it cooled I got most of the rest.  I let it cook for about 3 hours at first uncovered and once it has thickened with a lid.  I couldn't help tasting it along the way and it was yummy at every stage but it was even better as leftovers a few days later.  I made this version very mild but you can add more chile powder... Enjoy.

No comments: